Thursday, February 19, 2009

Yup, It Was That Kind of Day

We are home from the doctor. Adele aka Grandma has bronchitis at least. So one shot, a breathing treatment and a new prescription later we are home. However, if she is not remarkably better in a few days we are back in again. He was pretty proactive about it which I appreciate.
In other news, she has lost several more pounds, her memory is getting more and more fuzzy and today her blood sugar was all over the scale. Vitals were pretty ok, which was surprising.
So I am going to assume that the cancer is still in control.
While it is sad work to care for a dying person, I will say this: My granny also went quietly this way and it is a gentle, dignified way to go. In this case, Adele has her husband by her side and they are very touching to listen to as they talk at night while they watch tv together. She had asked me to make sure they stayed together as long as possible so that is what we have tried to do.
Luckily there are all of us and we have a companion hired for him for several hours a day. That way none of us burn out.
I have been watching her little light fade just a little bit at a time for the last several weeks. She is not bedridden or anything yet, but she is doing less and less. As I stated, it is sad to watch, but they have both lived a wonderful life and if you gotta go, this is not a bad way. I hope our children are as good to us.

No comments: