Thursday, February 5, 2009

Notorious Wednesday in Ouagadougou

Wine from Isreal
Rakieta, Horouna, and Me
Well, Rakieta and our trusty driver took my very sunburned tired body home to Delilah and Stephanie's and I was very happy to hit the sheets.
The next morning I woke, ate and waited for Rakieta to pick me up. We were headed back to her house to have lunch with Marie and then Horouna, Rakieta's and my friend was coming over to visit and then I was to meet Marie's husband, Paul.
I ate a very delicious lunch. I was told that Marie knew how to make white people's food so it would be good and it was.
Horouna arrived right on schedule. We talked and his English wasn't too bad. All of a sudden the room began to spin and I gratefully ran to the indoor toilet and then off to the air conditioned bedroom to lay down and get my act together.
Eventually it did get together and I was able to go back out and visit with this very nice young man. In Burkina, people rise early while it is cool, then work until about 12 or 1 and then everyone has a siesta. Then things liven back up again by 3 or 4 and so people don't get home from work until at least 7 or so. So dinner can easily be at 9.
Once Marie and Paul got home we all went for a walk to the airport which was nearby. Then we had a lovely dinner. While I was ever so grateful to be so near a flush toilet I was ok and even able to share in the wine Paul brought out. It was a small bottle he had gotten in Isreal. While Isreal is a major pilgramage for an American, it is a much shorter jaunt from Africa so a rather common trip for a middle class African to make.
That night I spent the night there and Rakieta and I talked a lot. It was a fun slumber party for us even with me trotting to the toilet.

No comments: