Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Passing on and God


Ok, to most of us regular, ordinary Midwest folks over the age of 35-40, God and Jesus are part of our fabric. I grew up knowing that even those mad at God or those who were non practicers, if the chips were down, would suddenly remember God.
As I moved out of my northern Michigan isolation and met more people from all over the world, I came to realise that not everyone had such an understanding of God. Sadly, in addition our culture in the last 20-30 years has become increasingly secular so more and more children do not know God. But that is another post.
Myself, I could not, no I would not want to deal with everything life has to dish out if I wasn't in constant communication with the other side. It is what keeps me going in good times and in bad. We are practicing Catholics. But one side of my family was protestant and being a veteran home school family we are pretty well versed in all the facets of the protestant side of Christianity. My own beliefs are not strictly doctrinal. I have seen too much in my life to be too rigid, but it is very easy for me to say without a doubt: "There is a very active, communicating afterlife out there."
That brings me to the main point of this post. We almost lost Grandma 3 weeks ago. That day she was in definite communication with the other side. I never heard her refer to God, Jesus or any angels but she did have a guy in a janitor's uniform hanging around. He was her CUSTODIAN. So the afterlife does have a sense of humor. The next day she did whisper the Lord's Prayer quietly, but then NOTHING!
With each day, she became more and more demanding, spoiled, self absorbed and insistent she was back to rule the roost.
No self reflection, No talking to or about the relatives or the old days, no making peace, no finishing unfinished business. Just Ursula the sea Witch lording over the living room!
Grandma is very materialistic. They quit going to church a long time ago. And even before they quit they were the lazy Catholics us up north folks always shook our heads in bewilderment at who left Mass right after communion. For those of you who don't get this, northern Michigan is full of vacationers in the summer. Those guys would go to Mass in our churches and then after they received communion, instead of going back to their pews to pray, they always just continued out the exits. Us locals were always a little baffled about this ritual because it made no sense to us.
I am digressing. sorry.
Anyway, we always pray for a family meal. So I make any guest who is at our table pray too. I figure if nothing else, it teaches the different traditions families have. So Grandpa and Grandma also prayed at the house when they came over. Once they moved in the practice continued. Now most Catholics pray the "Bless us our Lord" prayer. Unless we have practicing protestant people over, that is the prayer we use also. If we have someone who is well versed in free prayer over, we let them lead.
Grandpa and Grandma were both raised with the "Bless us our Lord" prayer. So it has been an easy thing for them to remember as they have declined.
One day several months ago, we had carry out food and only a partial family attending. We began to eat without praying. Grandpa sat there and grinned at me and wouldn't eat. He kept smiling at me. I knew something was up, but couldn't figure it out. Finally he said "Well aren't we going to....and he genuflected (Father, Son, Holy Spirit thing for you non catholics) I said "Of Course and we all put down our food and prayed. Since that day we always pray no matter what. Grandma, for all her need to short cut things and completely destroy traditions, also has found solace in this.
So it was a bit of a surprise to me when it dawned on me last night as I watched her obsess over her calendar for what seemed like hours that perhaps these obsession spells that she goes through daily are part of her refusal to let the other side through. She also blasts the tv to deafening levels at different times of the day. I am certain that is what that is about. It also dawned on me that except for the meal prayer, the other person completely absent from her life is God, Jesus or even Mary. Hmmmmmm.........................................
This is a mystery that only she and the other side can solve. My best guess is that she went, saw something she didn't like or was told to go back and resolve something and so fell back into her shoes with a thud. (read a few posts back for more on that)
Unfortunately, all she is doing is refusing to deal with her upcoming passing. If she doesn't give in pretty soon she will suffer physically going out as her body is beginning to show distress. I hate to see that, but only she can make the changes needed.
My granny also died from geriatric cancer. She was 85. BUT there was a huge difference. She made peace with God and her affairs pretty quickly. Consequently, she went very gently and peacefully. Based on my observations, this really does seem to make a huge difference.

No comments: