Sunday, September 27, 2009

Grandma's new DOO!

This is a picture Of Adele, aka Grandma K., and when I am really losing patience with her "Ursula the sea Witch". I just had to post this though, especially since I have not been so gracious in my writings about her of late.
This picture was taken Friday. She especially requested this because she loves her hairdo so much. Adele was never a wash and set weekly gal. Upon moving to Imlay City, that was one of the first clues that things were unraveling with the Kalinowski grandma. Her hair was looking pretty unkempt. I suggested she spoil herself with this. She eventually did find a hair dresser just down the block and she dearly loved Vicki, BUT she would only go sporadically and usually with no notice. Once she moved in with us, she kept trying to pull the "Give me the phone, I want to go get my hair washed and set now" garbage. No matter how much I explained that this was not courteous and that Vicki needed her to get on a schedule, it didn't sink in and she would just spew tantrums at me that only a mother-in-law can hurl. Luckily, she had largely forgotten how to use the phone correctly and I had the car keys so I was able with some gentle persuasion able to get her on a schedule by just working directly with Vicki. Of course after just 2 appointments she was hooked, so I then moved her to weekly which was taking car of hygiene as well as giving her a special day out. So that has been our Tuesday morning routine since December 2008. She attended those appointments every week even though it was getting increasingly difficult right up until the week we almost lost her in early September.
It took a little while to get Hospice organized the way I needed them to be but 2 Fridays ago our traveling hair dresser finally arrived. While Adele was thrilled with the shampoo, she immediately threw a fit over the hair do. So this week, Cyndy the drill Sargent, had to get Hospice and the traveling hair dresser to get their act together. (For any of you who have ever dealt with a chronic medical situation where there is a revolving door of staff invading your privacy non stop you can relate, I am sure)
So this week Kim arrived ready to tackle Ursula the Sea Witch and her angry attitude over her hair. With my fussing like a young mother and Kim's great expertise as a hair artist, we achieved the humongous task. Grandma wheeled back off to her chair satisfied. Now the big test-would she still be happy several hours later? Well, the litmus test is in the picture. She loved it so much she wanted a picture. So Kim is a resounding success and miracle worker!

No comments: