Friday, October 16, 2009

Are You Smarter Than a 5th grader?


What a refreshing surprise! I am now pretty much captive and by Grandma’s side all the time now. One of the Nurse aids had an epiphany and stated that my dear mother-in-law may be terrified of going to sleep because if she does she won’t wake up and that is the reason for all the frenzied anxiety and movement that has been going on for the better part of a month. I think the aid is dead on. There is so little evidence of any spiritual homework still so I am just guessing that it will all be done on the other side and she is just postponing it as long as possible. Luckily, her body is beginning to take over and sooner or later she will have no choice but to move on.
So to keep her from being Ursula the Sea Witch on too much sugar, I have resigned myself to babysitting Grandma. She accepts the girls and Matt ok, but seems to do the best with me. I assume it is because I am the true caregiver and have a good pulse on both her body and mental abilities and she must get some solace somehow. Don’t even ask what happens when I bring in an outsider to keep an eye on things. At this point, for everyone’s sanity, she gets me.
So, now instead of watching the desk and visiting with moms I am watching tv with Grandma in the evening. She likes the dance shows best, but will accept “Are you smarter than a 5th grader?” Well, I was literally shocked at what a nice show that is! What, no filth? No disrespectful sarcasm, no swearing, This is network tv. What is going on here? Oh, wait a minute. This is channel 20. Years ago it was the channel that carried all the reruns, then it was WB. Now it is something else, but I have to tell you I was very IMPRESSED! I guess our society has not completely gone to the dogs yet. There is still hope.

No comments: