Sunday, February 27, 2011

Rain, Well I Guess it is an Improvement


Yes, today after a week straight of snow, we are getting rain. You know what that means?! Yup, MUD! Lots of it and around here we have to take the mud seriously because of the clay. I grew up up north where it is a sandy loam mix. I had no idea what a mud room was or the need for it when I first got here. I just thought it was a cute name for a coat room. Wrong!!!
Mud room means exactly what it says. You keep a mud room so the muddy clothes and boots can come off before you get to the rest of the house that you want to save from the disgusting filth and sticking that the mud in the thumb of Michigan brings to anybody trying to transport themselves around outside on any area that is not covered in concrete. If you aren't sure what I am talking about, let me say this. In the spring time or after a heavy rain, if you walk on bare dirt, you are likely to get your shoes or boots sucked off. In addition, this stuff leaves a caking on your shoes that can be quite thick. As it dries, it comes off the shoes both in chunks and in a powder that seems to get on everything. This applies to coats, gloves and pants too. Hence mudroom.
It is going to be an interesting week for dance class and parking.
Well, time for laundry and correspondence.

No comments: