Thursday, March 26, 2009

Something to be Grateful For

Today was a nice spring day. Temps were nice. No jacket needed. Not too windy for a change. As I went out to collect eggs, I was forced as usual to reflect on the quiet dusk noises. Even with dancers coming in and out, the barnyard is quiet and peaceful. The chickens were underfoot looking for their warm water. The birds were making their settling down for the night noises, the farm across the street is finally quiet, no traffic, the ponies are nickering "Hello" and it is just always the same. Each time I go through the motions of evening chores or early morning, I always find God. I am not always looking. Sometimes I am just too busy being busy. But I always come back in the house having just found my spiritual center.
Once chicks are born I just love to sit on my stool and watch them. They grow a lot each day so the changes are very rapid. That also makes me sit in awesome wonder.
Tonight Grandpa came home from the companion's and as is so usual since his sickness, he came in and had a surprised grateful look on his face. He is surprised because every thing he does is like the first time, but his gratitude is over that he finally remembers nothing but our home as his home. He is grateful that he remembers this is home. I sit in awesome wonder.
He came and gave me a hug and told me he loved me. I sent him in to find his wife and took him out his popcorn. Every night he is surprised and gleeful that I make him popcorn. While I never signed up for this when I married my husband I am very glad for the opportunity to spend time with this very happy go lucky man at this point in his life.
I called Rakieta today-late. She never complains too loudly. She is just very ecstatic that I call. She is borrowing her tutor's phone shell since hers took one too many falls. He gives it to her gladly so she can talk to us. I sit in awesome wonder at how they have so little but give so much when they need to.
She will call her brother to tell him to go pick up his tuition money. He will ride many hours by bicycle to pick up the money and will not complain. He will only send me a lovely thank you e-mail in English that he has worked tirelessly on. No American I know would quietly live one day of their lives. I sit in awesome wonder.
Our dance program is growing in spite of the horrid Michigan economy and we are being presented with very special people. This promises to be a wonderful, fun show. I sit in awesome wonder.
The US is a wreck. As I write this, we are all hanging by our fingernails on the edge of a cliff. I sit in awesome wonder that so many Americans are losing sleep with me. That a country that has been so lackadaisical and silly does have a lot of great people who realize that we have to fight and fight hard or we may no longer have the great life we have all taken for granted.
I think I will sleep good tonight. I have been praying for some signs. I think my signs are that we should just not give up hope, faith or prayer. God is always near.

No comments: