Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Life with Geriatrics

Monday was quite interesting. Grandpa was squirrely on Sunday. As the day wore on he seemed to be getting worse. Finally at 9:00 he became bored with "Long Way Round". and went off to bed. Or so we thought.
When I got up in the morning Grandma was in the chair very grumpy. Grandpa was already up and at "em". Not a good sign. The next clue was that he was in his long john pants completely oblivious to his fashion statement. He is very modest so this was definitely a red light.
I got him dressed and sat down to breakfast. Then I went back to the ball of negativity in the living room. Turns out he was up talking, laughing, singing etc until 4:30 am. She finally yelled at him to "Shut UP!" I guess he did.
I got the morning stuff taken care of and Grandma comfortable and then she went off to sleep.
In the meantime Grandpa proceeded to drive us all crazy. He was agitated and talking gibberish. When he wasn't talking gibberish, he was fussing about sex in newspapers, the car needing to be serviced, etc. In addition he was extremely upset that his wife yelled at him last night ya know.
As the family had gotten up I got the stories. He told Matt the ghosts were talking to him all night. That is who he was laughing and giggling with. Jeni said he was up fully dressed and roaming the house at about 1:30. She also verified Grandma's stories that he was VERY LOUD.
Anyway, the day didn't get any better. I got a hunch he might have had a mini stroke some time during the last few days. I started making calls to get advice. I got some good information.
His companion had a very animated afternoon with him and as soon as he came home I started working on getting him to sleep. In the end an Aleve and 2 tbs of NyQuil put him out like a baby. He slept peacefully until 10:30 this am and today is a much better, more sane day.

No comments: