Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Rest of our Day trip to Tompouey

A group of children. All that is needed is a white person with a camera and there are so many people, especially children who love to have pictures taken. Note the shells in the girls hair. Quite a luxury I think.
Here are the buses dropping off the people to the tents.
The tent community. HOT!!!!
More children!
After we left the tent community we drove over to a school where they were setting up another temporary community in the school. When we arrived things were a bit chaotic. Marie quickly scolded the women to get things cleaned up so they could cook dinner. This is typical cleaning in the country. The women prefer to do it this way. Feeling that something isn't properly cleaned unless they are close to the ground like this. Not for me, but whatever works for them.
By now I am exhausted, very sunburned and desperately needing something softer than the ground or a hard stool to sit on. (Give me a comfy recliner) Anyway, these ducks showed up and I was pretty tickeled to see something familiar.
Ladies beginning to organize dinner for the community
Finally things are in order and after a picture I am thinking we get to finally go home. HA!!!!!
I have been slow with all the pictures of the day trip and I apologize. My days are just so fragmented. However, the weather is finally getting more agreeable which does help so much and other than income tax returns, there isn't too much paperwork staring at me right now. For the moment Adele is stable so.....................I will hold my breath and run like the wind with the normal things the Kalinowski's call life.
Anyway, after I was already lobsterized and I was ready to go home and let my sun burn rest, we got a call to go to one of the places Marie Compaore was spending her day. Marie Compaore is who Rakieta stays with and she is a social worker. It turned out to be a temporary shelter because the rainy season which started the day after I got there had produced such heavy rains that it knocked several housing neighborhoods right down. So the people were being relocated to tent villages temporarily while their homes were rebuilt.
I will have to split this story up into a few more posts as there are a lot of photos. Just wait until you see what is next!

No comments: