Thursday, June 26, 2008

Happy Birthday Delilah and Stephanie!

On Monday morning I went shopping with my friend who was from the US. That was an excellent idea, especially to go so soon after my arrival and with someone who shared my language and culture. She helped me change my money. Not easy by the way, for any of you on your way over. Anyway, I wanted to get a birthday cake for the girls since both had had a birthday in the last week.
So my friend took me to the bakery, probably the only one in the country, and we bought the best looking thing they had. Now best looking is relative there. It wasn't pretty but it was a cake so I took my selection to the counter. I was in a tepid room, trying to learn to use CFA's and my French was not good enough nor was their English good enough for this to be a great experience. Most shops that resemble anything remotely like what westerners are used to are run by Lebanese. One thing I'll say for the Lebanese no matter what country they hang their hat in is that they know their neighborhoods and try very hard to make sure the goods needed get in. Hence a bakery. Paltry, tepid and not what we would consider a good one, but nevertheless a real European/American style bakery.
My selection was about $20.00 American which is an astronomical amount for most Burkinabe so I know this was a really big deal for our girls and everyone who was there. I brought over some nice decorations from the grocery store here in the US. So nothing fancy for us, but it was a really big deal for them. Of course in my culture overload I forgot the candles so Mam'e came to the rescue with the baptismal candles. It was definitely something they and I will remember and cherish forever.
One last thing. People are always wondering what is appropriate clothing. Well, my experience is that the younger the person the more western the dress. Mam'e and others her age never dress western. Middle aged people wear a mix of clothing, but never jeans or what is common in the US really for Burkinabe women. But the younger people are all wearing anything western they can get their hands on. However, thongs, hootchy skirts or anything suggestive or sleazy is not OK.
I wore capris and was pretty comfortable. Being white I stuck out anyway so I didn't worry too much about blending in. But loose fitting, light clothing is the most comfortable. Nothing should be above the knee. So capris ok, shorts, especially short shorts or skirts no.
As I promised I will do a post on shopping as it is really interesting and I am sure those going over will appreciate the information. But it will have to wait for another day.

No comments: