Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Grandma or Mam'e

Mam'e, Rakieta and Stephanie the first day

This is Delilah and Stephanie's grandma. Everyone calls her Mam'e, including me. She insists upon it. I have always enjoyed her and respected her, but after spending so much time with her I love her as much as her birth family does. She is kind and gentle and has a heart for everyone.
She is very intelligent and thoughtful and went to a huge amount of trouble to make sure I had a wonderful trip. She doesn't have a whole lot of money, but it was the little thoughtful things like powdered milk, mango, banana and silverware. She has an awareness of how Americans think since she has a daughter living in the US and has visited in the past.
It was that and of course her grandmotheryness that made all the difference.
"Cyndy, you must rest." "Cyndy, you must sleep." Cyndy, you must eat." "I got to tell you though", the days I didn't stay with her I really appreciated her because Burkinabe who have never been out of the country do not realize how different their culture is. Thank goodness I had Rakieta to mother me a bit.
However, everyone I met went to a lot of trouble to show me their best hospitality and I really appreciated it. While not the kind of place you can visit as a tourist, it was a wonderful trip.

No comments: