Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Long Time, No Post!


It seems like forever since I sat down and wrote, answered any e-mails or commented on anything. It was a very necessary hiatus. I wish I could say that I was rested and relaxed. No I am not, but I feel way less stressed out than I did the last time I checked in.
The paperwork is about half done. Advice-Make sure you have many, many original copies of the death certificates. We had 10 and ran out. But some are slowly coming back to us now. Also try to know what you are dealing with before the passing if possible, even if you can't legally have conversation with the agencies/organizations. By knowing what we had to deal with it made the mountain at least crossable. I can only imagine the stress and nightmare if we had no idea what we were trying to complete for Lee and Adele. I had spent approximately 1 1/2 years working with her on getting her affairs in order prior to the end. While things were not perfect, it was much better than had I had to start at the beginning after they passed.
In the meantime, Rakieta's leg is just about done, the dance show was a huge success as always, another batch of chicks was hatched and the holidays were especially sweet this year. Thanksgiving choked everyone up as we passed the Cold Duck around in memory of Gramps, but things are getting back to normal now and everyone who knew them in their last months can laugh and recall lots of silly, goofy, happy times. That is how it should be.
Once I spend at least one quiet week I will begin to plan my trip to Burkina to be with our girls. They are chomping at the bit which is to be expected. This time the weather should be much more pleasant for me, the Michigander. The plan is to get Rakieta's documents up to date, work on sewing, get computer skills under control and of course, just have fun and see everyone!

No comments: