Saturday, January 23, 2010

Becoming a Middle Aged Woman

This is something I think about every time it is made obvious and yet it just creeps up on us women sort of silently.
I am no longer a young mom or a mom with young kids. I was a relatively young mother. I was 21 when Merry was born. So I have been parenting for 25 years. Add to that the fact that I was the oldest of 6 kids and you could say I have been mothering my whole life. Needless to say I am quite competent at it and it just comes second nature.
However, most of the time I am not running around with kids in tow anymore. I get to enjoy the old days when I am with our African girls, the nieces or even the dance kids. But a lot of my life is spent mentoring in a way that is a little more hands off. I don't think it is as fun as the dragging kids from here to there days, but it just kind of happens naturally and it is rewarding too.
What I have found is that my world is pretty huge. The amount of people, especially young people, who consider me one of their VIPS is large. Way larger than when I was so busy parenting.
I never thought this part of my life would be as nice as it is turning out to be.
But I am as excited as ever when I get the chance to deal with the stress, noise and activity of "momming".

No comments: