Sunday, May 10, 2009

One Ringy Dingy, Two Ringy Dingy..............



Ok, it has been a very rough couple of weeks in the calling Burkina Faso department. For some reason, now even my Western Union phone card is not working right. Under the best of circumstances calling Burkina is not what I would say is stress free. Their lines are all rotary I think. At least it sounds that way. Remember the old buzzzz, buzzzz from our child hoods if you lived in a rural area? The circuits are frequently busy and dropped calls, buzzing and echoing are all pretty normal. However, some days are just an exercise in futility.
However the western Union card could always be trusted. In the last few months, it was sending my calls on a wild goose chase about every 5th time I called, but last week it was constant. Out of desperation I finally called Rakieta directly and amazingly the call went right through and with no static or any of the other annoyances that we just deal with. Since I was not sure how much Verizon was charging me, we kept it very short. I called Western Union who assured me they would correct the problem. I spent another week not being able to get through. So today, since the show is finally done and I have some disposable time now, I called directly again and had no trouble, called Western Union again who assured me they would fix the problem and I finally broke down and bought an MCI card. We'll see how things go. More on this later.

No comments: