Monday, May 25, 2009

Hair and white people in Africa

Some of Rasmata's in-laws doing hair the day we picked up Rasmata.
Delilah doing my hair the first time.
What is left of my going home hairdo.

I didn't spend a lot of time with Delilah while I was in Ouaga. Delilah had some issues that are regretful, but they were out of my control. Teen problems can be big and bold even in Africa. So I was a bit disappointed with that. However, language barrier or not, Delilah and I bonded through my hair. She just loved my hair. So I let her brush and brush. I mostly let her do what she wanted until she got out the hair oil which is a staple for black/negroid hair. It was quite funny explaining what a mess I would have if the oil actually made it on my head.
On the morning I was leaving, Delilah asked if she could do my hair. I said ok. As I got on the plane, many of us looked the same. It is a custom to be given a gift of a nice hairdo before travel. African women spend many hours working on each other's hair. It is part of the bonding process for them.
Notice how wilted I looked. Yeah it is that bad. White people just do not do so well in that climate. There is one look- hot, wilted and sweaty. They all asked why I didn't wear my hair down like they were used to seeing in pictures. Let me tell you, the "soggy, just got out of the pool" look would have been fine with me.

No comments: