Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Pepe Le Pu 2


After a very long but productive day of farm and yard work, I wandered around the yard at dusk. Isabelle was barking, snapping and growling ferociously at something on her turf. I walked over to see what had her so indignant. There in the shadows was the black and white culprit. It had sprayed but off in the other direction luckily. However it seemed pretty docile for a skunk with a 100 lb dog breathing down it's neck. So I watched while I figured out how to get Isabelle out from harm's way. Calling her was not working at all.
So I finally got her away from the thing, put her in, came back out-now I needed a flashlight-looked again-all I could see was heavy breathing and the stripe seemed to be slithering around. So much so that for a minute I thought maybe I was dealing with a snake. But no such luck. It was Pepe all right. So in the house I went to read up on the habits of our smelly intruder.
It seems they are pretty prevalent rabies carriers. That had my attention since this thing did not seem to be acting normal. Matt called in the midst of my studying so out I went to give my report and the darn thing was still there. So........we either have a sick or wounded skunk. Yippee, skippee.
So Isabelle is grounded to the house and Matt has skunk duty when he gets home. I 'll report on how well that goes tomorrow. The last skunk disposal was quite entertaining.
Hopefully this is my nasty predator.
Last week another skunk was run over near the house. We hoped that would end our problems, but something killed one of my ducks earlier this week. It was a very big duck so whatever it was either was very vicious or sick.

No comments: