Saturday, July 12, 2008

Delilah and Stephanie's School

The front of the school. Note it is also gated. The men out front are guards.
Stephanie's classroom.

These are pictures of Delilah and Stephanie's school. They were difficult to get. Not so long ago it was illegal to take pictures of any public place or in a public place. However, under the latest regime, the laws are relaxed a lot. Today you must ask and if you are told no, you must respect. That is it. I had to receive permission from the principal to even go into the school room.
I had no problems. I was told no just a few times, but do keep in mind that anyone, especially a white person with a digital camera is a magnet for photos. so be prepared to become the neighborhood photographer. I didn't mind. They thought a lot of my pictures were just hilarious. They couldn't understand how or why I would want such silly pictures of things like an outdoor kitchen or privy. They were very good natured with me though and were willing to take me on lots of neighborhood tours. I also took lots of family photos and such. It's a good thing I am a pretty decent photographer AND computer geek. They are going to love the albums and stuff when they get them.

As you can see, this school is not overly luxurious. This is a private school of around $150.00 per year. The educational level is good. As I stated in an older post the need for supplies is very great. I am currently asking for donations of supplies, globes, atlases etc to help them supply the classrooms. One other unusual thing in at least this school. Most of the staff I saw was male. I don't know if that is common every where, but it seemed the norm here.

The price for public schools is $3.00-$6.00 per year. I will report more on this later

No comments: