Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Saturday Night Spaghetti Night in Burkina Faso


Our spaghetti meal. The catsup was for a potato/yam thing they fry like french fries. They don't use it much, but bought it for me.


Well, I am in a real mood today. I am sick and tired of worrying about the state our country is in, about GM, about my in-laws, Rakieta and our future. So I will write about something else.

I went to Africa for 10 days. If you include the flight time I was gone about 14 days.
The people were just lovely. I had very few complaints about anything while I was there except the heat, BUT there is a weird custom/tradition there. Servitude and pecking order are very big there and children are quite low on the pecking order. So, the adults sit around and the kids are usually separated and back in the kitchen area. Well, considering that I spent $3000 on a ticket and flew for 2 days to see our girls I grew a little impatient with being wined and dined while the people I was there to see were constantly whisked off to be by themselves in back.
So to combat that I finally made Saturday kids day. NOTHING ELSE. They shrugged and thought it was weird but humored me. So we walked to the cybercafe
and had a lot of fun and then went to the large grocer. Then home we went to make spaghetti. It was a bit chaotic getting everyone in the same groove since they cook so differently, but the end result was delicious and everyone, even the doubters loved it!
I also made us set 1 table and everyone sat together. We prayed first, then ate together and it was a very special memory for everyone.

No comments: