Friday, April 3, 2009

Old Wheezy Geezer, I Love you!!!

I never thought I would write on this subject!
Old Weezy Geezer is a HP Pavilion windows xp from Walmart that we bought for the girls when they became very teenagery to keep the chaos off of the big computer. You know the IMing, music downloads and all the rest when it first came out. Back then we were all still on dial up. So the thing is at least 7 or 8 years old. Jeni tells me we bought it in 2001. That sounds about right.
It was slow as molasses from the day we brought it home. However, it has never crashed even once. So it must have concrete for innards. It has taken all kinds of abuse from the girls neglect and filling up the memory to the brink to little dance brothers pounding on it to play Fisher Price Pirates or Scooby Doo.
I took it over after out first laptop crashed for the umpteenth time and we chucked it. The 98 had to retire from the internet about 2004 since even with dial up the web sights were just too big for it's fragile system to handle without a major meltdown.
So first I cleaned it up A LOT. Then I guarded it with my life to keep the vultures from leaving their vermin and garbage behind. All was well for several years. Then the week the grandparents moved in, both the 98 and Old Weezy Geezer just fell apart on me.
What was a middle aged mother under lots of stress to do? Stick them under the desk and wait for calmer days. That's what.
So I packed up Laptop #1 (the one being repaired from it's bath) and moved out to the kitchen counter where I could watch Grandpa to keep him from burning the house down AND keep my papers out of his radar. (That is a very entertaining story for another day.)
Laptop #1 is great. Don't get me wrong. But it doesn't have and couldn't read a few of the ancient programs I use as much as dish soap. I was still struggling to make the laptop really fit when the dreaded water incident happened.
Now the 2 computers under the desk HAD to come out of retirement. So after my computer repairman saved our lives AGAIN, now we owe him our first born something. There are always coons, possums and skunks. If he'd like something a little cuter, there will be chicks in a few weeks. Maybe he'll settle for brownies or something instead.
(I am digressing) Sorry.
Anyway, he told me to take apart Old Weezy Geezer and vacuum the crap out of it. So Marvin, the grandpa of the little ballerina who so politely spilled her water on laptop # 1, and I did an autopsy on the ol girl. Egads!
Several vacuum, run fan episodes later and viola! She was firing up just like the old days. Still a little noisy, but up and running.
I have been using this computer since then and it is now quieter than it has been in years! And I am so happy to have all my comfortable programs working correctly and right where they belong.
Sigh......... I could just kiss and hug the thing!
Sometimes it is the littlest things that makes us the happiest.

No comments: