Thursday, January 27, 2011

I Am Home!

Mam'e, me and Stephanie

Seetah, me and Rakieta

I am back. It was wonderful! I am not sure you can use the word wonderful combined with visit to Burkina Faso often, but this time I could. The weather was great for a Michigander. 78-85* each day with pleasant breezes and cool evenings. They, on the other hand, were freezing. Winter coats and hats were a plenty and they thought I was absolutely nuts for putting on the ceiling fan.
I took things in very small bites and really didn't try to do or see too much and it was just right. Burkina is STILL very far from a tourist destination so for now the average American is better off learning of the place through pictures, but things are modernizing relatively quickly. They love westerners and are a happy go lucky, peaceful people so eventually it will be a nice place to go. I think and actually hope it will always be a lot like the places Americans go for family vacations or the RVing crowd likes. An atmosphere like Vegas or Disney would not be good for them.
I will post a little each day so as not to overwhelm. The worst part of my journey was the Paris airport (not a surprise). Flying becomes more stressful and difficult with each journey. I have decided that as big of a pain and as expensive as mailing is, it is the lesser of the 2 evils for shipping things.

No comments: