Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Washer Woes

Last week Matt washed his clothes and had no problem letting one load take over 2 hours because the water was coming out very slowly. So I gave him the ultimatum. It had to be fixed before the week was out. He waited until the last possible minute and then I had to deal with the cussing and swearing and tantrums but we did change the hose filters. Unfortunately, as is the case with this man most of the time, no test run. So on Matt's laundry day, he promptkly starts his laundry again and disappears. Many HOURS later I went in the laundry room to check on the chicks and it was STILL filling. So I did something profound and actually looked in the washer. This time the water was just dripping into the washer. The problem was actually worse than before. I switched temps to at least get the load done and of course I gave him more than an exasperated look. (Remember everyone, it is MOTORCYCLE season.) Anyway, now everyone is home from vacation and that means a lot of laundry. So yesterday we loaded the washer by bucketful. This morning I greeted him with the sternest attitude I could muster first thing out of bed and made it clear we had a date in the laundry room. This time we actually let the hoses run and as soon as I took the new filter out of the hose, there was at least a quarter cup of chunky rust sitting there. Mystery solved! Now the washer is running wonderfully.
So folks, when I tell you that the rust in the water in the thumb of Michigan is so hard you can chew it, it is no joke. Too bad we can't mine for rust. We'd be rich.

No comments: