Sunday, July 26, 2009

I should be Running Errands

Instead I am hiding out in the extra room watching MonsterQuest. This episode is about monster sized spiders. I have avoided this episode up until now as I had enough stress in my life and didn't need to become educated on this subject. However, the lack of choices on the tube today, made me finally give in.
Today is normally trail riding day for Jeni and I, but we are riding tomorrow instead. The list of Grandma and granpa supplies is pretty long. I really do need to get moving, BUT.......I just need some down time. I am sure everyone reading this can relate. Just unorganized, wasted couch potato time.
There is a lot going on around here as usual, but I am finding that more and more of the projects on my neverending to do list seem to be checked off. As that happens it brings a quiet satisfaction.

That is great because we are entering the next difficult phase of advanced geriatric care. Grandpa is sleeping about 18 hours per day. That is fine and normal according to the Hospice people. Trouble is Grandma's dementia is getting worse and she can be just vicious. So we no longer seem to need to guard the doors or the papers as much from a wandering curious Grandpa. Now we need to guard the bedroom door to keep Grandma from waking him up and yelling at him for sleeping. Of course she has a different set of rules for herself. She is sleeping about 14 hours per day. So goes the day of our lives around here.

In all seriousness, Grandpa has Hospice, which to me is the Godsend as it is the training wheels I so desperately need for dealing with death from dementia/Alzheimers. Grandma is bleeding again and showing other signs that indicate the cancer getting more and more aggressive. The plan is to have the same caregivers we have for Grandpa work with Grandma since she isn't handling the disease proactively at all and will not accept Hospice willingly.
As always, Hospice has been awesome so far. However, I did a lot of interviewing and found a program that did deal extensively with dementia. It has been a good decision and we have no regrets so far.
Well, I think I have chatted enough. Until next time.

No comments: