Sunday, May 16, 2010

African Servitude

Today Rakieta and I talked about the sewing machines again. It turns out that the electricity needed to run a sewing business is not all that expensive. Rakieta'a mentor for sewing explained to her that it was not expensive to have electricity for a sewing machine. So it turns out that Marie C. was fibbing to Rakieta. I asked if she was just having a bad day and over reacting. Rakieta assured me no, that Marie was just keeping Rakieta in her place as a a "little person." This is not the first time this has happened.
Marie has provided Rakieta with a safe, sanitary environment which we are very grateful for and I am sure that she cares deeply for Rakieta, but I just think jealousy gets the better of her some times. The women over there can get so vicious.
Anyway, we will persevere and Marie will get over this hump, just as she has all the others, but I really get irritated and weary of this whole African attitude of needing to make some of the people servants of others. They are their own worst enemies and as long as they continue this practice, they will never really modernize.

No comments: